Re: Fw: Clarity of Fingering?

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Fw: Clarity of Fingering?
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 12:01:56 -0700 (PDT)

I'll generally only number the bass notes and only when the string actually
changes from the previous number, leaving the other notes un-numbered unless
there is a specific need to.  This is better than using a TextSpanner with
position markers which is too verbose and hard to read quickly.  Any
guitarist who gets the right string for the current lowest note is going to
be at the right fretting position for the remaining current notes above it.
When I'm reading a guitar score I tend to read chord stacks from bottom up,
so this works out well.  Putting a finger number along with a string number
on the bottom note, ensures absolute correct neck position, but might be
overkill too.  Most experienced guitarists will be in correct position just
knowing that for example I want that "C" on the 6th string (8th fret)
instead of the 5th string (3rd fret), then they take it from there to find
the rest of the fingers/strings naturally.