Re: triangle chord notation

From: Michael J Millett
Subject: Re: triangle chord notation
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:12:52 -0500

Here is how I understand it: Jazz/pop chord symbols are to be considered literal. That means, the key signature is Not Ever to be considered. A 6 is always a major sixth. A seventh is always a minor seventh. A 9 is always a major ninth. An 11 is always a P11, and a 13 is always a major 13.

When alterations are made, the literal accidental should be used. But . . .

But, at least in usage, this is where the system breaks down. Sometimes, # means raised, b means lowered, from the conventions listed above. Figuring out which is which, is usually a matter of common sense. Though, I have run across a few that have not been clear.

Consider the following (difficult to typeset in normal text) Ab (b9). Spelled Ab C Eb Gb Bbb (or A). b9 refers to the fact that the ninth is not a major ninth, but is lowered from the conventional. The other possibility is Ab {bb9). This is messy, and not appropriate for chord symbols, which, ironically, are probably designed to simplify matters.

In regards to the Cm#7: I have always seen this written as Cm (maj 7), making it clear that the 7th is not the conventional minor 7th. The other possibility is Cm (♮7). However, #7 makes perfect sense when considered with the convention. It means "the seventh is raised from the conventional." Key signatures don't count when using chord symbols.

I hope this helps :)

Michael