point & click on WinXP via editor

From: David Griffel
Subject: point & click on WinXP via editor
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:46:27 +0100

Lilypond 2.9.12 on windows produces a .pdf file with point-and-click information, very useful. Adobe reader shows a tooltip when mouse is over a notehead or text, giving the line/column of the relevant bit of the source file. I haven't learnt how to configure it to open the editor at that point of the file - but that's not crucial given the tooltip. My problem is ...

The tooltips appear if the .pdf is opened from an Explorer window, but not when Adobe Reader is opened via an editor such as CrimsonEditor or Textpad (using a user-configured menu item to open an application). What I get when using an editor is the Acrobat Reader cursor changing to a pointing finger, indicating a link, but if I click I get a message "The plug-in required by this 'URI' action is not available. Information about the missing plug-in may be available on Adobe's Web site." I looked on the website, didn't find anything.

I do get the tooltips when invoking Acrobat Reader from an editor which allows sending DDE messages to applications. But that editor (TeXnicCenter) doesn't support utf-8, and has other deficiencies for lilypond use (it was designed specifically for Latex).

Has anyone got point-and-click to work using an editor like Crimson or Textpad?

David