Re: triangle chord notation

From: joelinux
Subject: Re: triangle chord notation
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:53:02 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

In Chord symbol notation, a plain "7" refers to the dominant 7th or V7 interval
which would include the major 3 which gives the tritone interval.  The minor
7th chords are the II7, III7 and VI7.  These chords do not include a tritone.
A minor chord with a Major 7 essentially functions as a I minor chord or tonic
function chord.  Essentially the problem is many people don't understand that
dominant chords like C7 have nothing to do with the key of C.  Rather they are
V7 chords, and in the case of the C7, it is a V7 in the key of F.  Thus the
relationship of the 3rd's in the chord is completely diatonic - using only
notes of the F major scale.

address@hidden