Re: triangle chord notation

From: joelinux
Subject: Re: triangle chord notation
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:05:13 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

You are correct except for the fact that chords are derived from scales.  Both
the ascending melodic minor and harmonic minor scale contain the major 7.  The
problem again is that many "unschooled" players don't understand the true
harmonic relationship or function of a given chord.   Chord symbols do belong
to a key, but high quality musical compositions don't stay in the same key
through out the piece.  That's why chord symbols are not interpreted vis a vis
the key signature of the piece. There are temporary tonal center shifts which
are represented by "accidentals" rather than key signature changes.

We are discussing traditional diatonic harmony

http://www.malletjazz.com/lessons/cho_symb_les.html