Re: pasting lilypond output into a Word document

From: Jon Wild
Subject: Re: pasting lilypond output into a Word document
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 19:49:48 -0400 (EDT)

Diosnel's suggestion below might have been a good idea if I were starting from scratch, but there's just been too much work put into formatting, tweaking tables, importing equations and so forth that there's no way I'm going to scrap it and learn how to do all that in lilypond-book (is it even possible?). Plus, unfortunately, I wouldn't think academic music journals would accept a submission in such an "exotic" format. (Some journals even require music examples in a submission to be typeset in Finale and to follow very specific style guidelines.)

I *was* going to format the lilypond output so I could include the pages of the pdf directly in the larger document, with page numbers adjusted so they fit in sequence - but even that has proved impractical. (For example, I need to have page numbers at the bottom of my page, and this doesn't seem to be an option as far as I can tell. Also, I have to shrink one example so it doesn't run onto 2 systems, and I haven't found a way to shrink just one score in a book that contains many scores. I can change staff size and font size but I can't decrease the spacing--so it takes the same horizontal space in the end.)

Michael Millett is surely correct about Word not preserving vector-based graphics. Still I'm at a loss as to why a bitmap will come out worse when it hasn't been resized. I guess it's Word's conversion routine... maybe if there were a way to get Adobe Reader to paste bmp data to the clipboard instead it would work better.