Sponsored feature request--horizontal space

From: Steve D
Subject: Sponsored feature request--horizontal space
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:19:20 -0600

Hello all--

I would like to sponsor a feature, if it does not already exist in
LilyPond and if Han-Wen thinks it would be practical to implement:

the ability to quickly and easily add or subtract a little horizontal
space between musical elements in a staff, something like \hspace does
within markup.

I recently notated a piano piece that has repeated dotted eighth-note
chords, and the dots look too close to the following chord. I would love
to be able to add a little space between the dots and the chord that
follows, for example. (see attached GIF graphic)

Anyway, if Han-Wen thinks that this is a feature that would benefit
LilyPond and its users and if it is not too difficult to implement
without all kinds of possibly bad side effects, then I would like to
sponsor it.

best wishes,

Steve Doonan
New Mexico US
Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad.
-Aldous Huxley