Dotted chords issue? (was Re: Sponsored feature request--horizontal spac

From: Steve D
Subject: Dotted chords issue? (was Re: Sponsored feature request--horizontal space)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:56:15 -0600

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 08:55:29PM +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Steve D wrote:
> >I recently notated a piano piece that has repeated dotted eighth-note
> >chords, and the dots look too close to the following chord. I would love
> >to be able to add a little space between the dots and the chord that
> >follows, for example. (see attached GIF graphic)

> Hi,
> The real problem is that the dots should either be moved closer to the
> note in tight situations (preferred, but hard to do) or that the notes
> should be forced apart farther when there are dots: that should be
> doable.  Would you want to sponsor that?

Thank you for your reply Han-Wen. When Mats Bengtsson mentioned that my
previously attached GIF which illustrated some crowded dotted eigth-note
chords looked like it might be a bug, I decided to take those same notes
out of the context of my piano piece and piano staff, and place them in
a minimal LilyPond file. In that new context, with the same notes and
chords, the dots are not crowded for some reason. I have attached a GIF
graphic of this lilypond file:

--- LilyPond test file below ---

% example of spacing of dotted chords containing intervals of a second

\version "2.9.14"

\paper {}

\header {}

\score {
   \new Staff \relative c' { \key d \major
   \times 2/3 { <d d'>4~ <d g> a' } <d, e a>8.~ <d fis a>8. <d e a>8~ |
   }
   \layout { }
   \midi { \tempo 4=160 }
}

--- end of LilyPond test file ---

[see attached GIF graphic for output of this file, and compare it to the
GIF attached to my previous message in this thread]

I'm in the mood to sponsor LilyPond again, so if this turns out to be a
bug of some sort, I will find some other worthy feature or work to
sponsor in LilyPond. ;-)

best wishes,

Steve
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.  -Henry
David Thoreau