Re: Sponsored feature request--partially-tied chords

From: Steve Doonan
Subject: Re: Sponsored feature request--partially-tied chords
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 07:37:07 -0600

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 12:39:56PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > It might be nice to be able to
> > write something like:
> >
> > <c e\noTie g\noTie bes>4~ <c e g bes>
>
> Hmm, much to type.  What about the opposite:
>   <c~ e g bes~>4 <c e g bes>
> This looks most natural to me.
>     Werner

Whatever seems better to Han-Wen and the developers. The reason I used
the exclusion rather than inclusion approach (which notes of an
otherwise tied chord should *not* be tied, instead of which notes of an
otherwise untied chord *should* be tied) in my example, was because I
thought someone might write the ambiguous--

<c~ e g bes~>4~

--but your example looks fine to me too. I merely suggested the
functionality, and trust that Han-Wen and the developers with their
knowledge of the logic and design principles of LilyPond would best know
how to include such functionality.

Steve