Re: Sponsored feature request--partially-tied chords

From: Steve D
Subject: Re: Sponsored feature request--partially-tied chords
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:59:30 -0600

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 12:57:51PM +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Steve D wrote:
> >Trevor Baca recently asked how one might write in LilyPond tied chords in
> >which only *some* (one or more, but not all) notes are tied to the
> >following identical chord.
> >
> >I am also interested in this, because it sometimes happens in piano
> >music, and I would be interested in sponsoring a feature in LilyPond
> >which one could use to prevent one or more notes within a chord from
> >being tied.
>

> >At any rate, if Han-Wen thinks this is worthy of some thought and
> >effort, I would be happy to sponsor such a user-specified "selective
> >exclusion of notes" or partially tied chord feature.
>
> it's easiest to add a property so you can do
>
>   <c e \tweak #'forbid-tie = ##t g bes>
>
> cost: 65 EUR.
>
> Han-Wen Nienhuys - address@hidden - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen
> LilyPond Software Design
>  -- Code for Music Notation
> http://www.lilypond-design.com

That sounds good to me, Han-Wen. The \tweak would affect only the note
immediately after it, right? (like \once \override ?)

If a piece has lots of partially tied chords, a person could define a
macro at the top of his or her piece to diminish the amount of typing:

\notie = \tweak #'forbid-tie = ##t

<c \notie e \notie g bes>4~ <c e g bes>

I will be happy to sponsor this. I can pay now via PayPal or later after
the invoice. Thank you,

Steve
The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns
longer.  -Victor Borge