Re: forcing even eighth notes in a single bar

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: forcing even eighth notes in a single bar
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:20:17 -0500

On 8/22/06, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
[ v. 2.9.15 ]

Hello, all --

I've got a bar of vocal (choral) text which ends up looking a bit
uneven:

Is there any easy way to force Lilypond to use "exact eighth notes"
for just this measure?
 From what I've seen in the docs, I'm worried that most proportional
spacing commands are score-wide...

Hm ... I haven't checked it, but a \newSpacingSection command went in
in 2.9.something that should let you create as many different spacing
regions in a piece as you want.

So it should be possible to have

 * the first part
 * a \newSpacingSection using proportional notation for just that one measure
 * a \newSpacingSection for the remainder of the piece

Once again I haven't checked but it should work ... if it does work
could you ping the list back?

(When you play with the proportional settings, you're setting
everything relative to a certain *duration* you can think of as
vertical lines, more or less, on graph paper. Therefore, the *smaller*
the duration that you pass in, the wider your eighth notes will space;
the *large* the duration, the tighter. I recommend starting with a
16th and then try a 20th or 24th ...)

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden