Re: tweak of the crescendotext

From: yota moteuchi
Subject: Re: tweak of the crescendotext
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:56:39 -0400

ok I got it

you're right... with a centered alignment, the dynamic indication become too imprecise to be readable. But putting the text on two lines give a nice result.

\set crescendoText = \markup{\italic \column {\line {poco a poco} {cresc.} }}
    \set crescendoSpanner = #'dashed-line
    r4  \times 2/3 {\once \override DynamicLineSpanner #'staff-padding = #1 a8->( \accent \< bes a) \!} r4
    \repeat unfold 9 { r4 \times 2/3 { a8->( \accent bes a) } r4}

I really would like to have an automatic line break, diplaying "poco a poco" on the end of the first staff and the "cresc."  at the start of the next staff. Well.... I could also do it by hand but it's a bit dirty

About the vertical positioning of the crescendotext. the property is in fact hidden in dynamiclinespanner #'staff-padding (even if there is no line span)

that was the tip of the day :p

On 8/25/06, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
yota wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have some notes where a "poco a poco cresc." must be inserted...
>so I put
>
>\set crescendoText = \markup { \italic "poco a poco cresc." }
>\set crescendoSpanner = #'dashed-line
>r4  \times 2/3 { a8->( \accent \< bes a) \!} r4
>
>and it worked, but the text is too long, it goes over the end of the page
>and the vertical position make it collide with the \accent.
>Well with a little vertical padding and a centered alignment it should do
>the trick.

As a musician I would be very confused if you used centered
alignment, since I wouldn't realize exactly where you want
the crescendo to start. As far as I can recall from printed
music, the text is normally broken over the line break in
such situations, at least if the crescendo is long (your example
seems like an extremely short crescendo to be able to do
"poco a poco"). Another possibility would be to do
\markup{\italic \column {\line {poco a poco} cresc. }}

>But I'm not fluent enough with "contexts" and "properties" stuff, and the
>documentation keeps confusing me.
>
>is such a dynamic indication a TextScript or a DynamicText or something else
>?... I tried some tweaks but everything failed.

DynamicText should be the relevant object.

   /Mats