Re: [somewhat-OT] tweaking Lilypond PS/PDF output in (e.g.) Illustrator

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: [somewhat-OT] tweaking Lilypond PS/PDF output in (e.g.) Illustrator
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:47:32 -0500

On 8/29/06, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
On 3/5/06, Kieren Richard MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, Han-Wen, etc.:
>
> > you have to install both the Century Schoolbook font, and the feta-
> > alphabet fonts so Illustrator recognizes it.
> > I expect that you will need to convert the feta-alphabet* fonts to
> > TTF, eg. using fontforge.

Hi Kieren,

I seem to be now where you were back in February: I want to stick
lilypond output into InDesign (pretty close to Illustrator) and I'm
having all sorts of fun. I'm on OS X Intel with 2.9.16 and I was able
to use FontBook to tell OS X about Emmentaler and New Century
Schoolbook (by digging around and finding the otf folder within the
LilyPond.app package). And, happily, the InDesign font menu shows both
Emmentaler and New Century Schoolbook (and imported EPS stuff looks
great ... except that I have no noteheads ...)

I think what's missing now is that InDesign doesn't know about the
Feta .pfa fonts.

OK, actually, I think I'm wrong; I think what's missing is that
InDesign doesn't know about certain sizes of Emmentaler. (But I'm
still interested in Kieren's Feta package, if it's available!)

If I look in FontBook then I see the following Emmentaler sizes ...

 11, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20, 23, 26

... but when I look in InDesign's Type menu, I see only the following
Emmentaler sizes ...

 11, 13, 14, 16, 23, 26

... thus missing sizes 18 and 20.

So ... when I render a sample .eps file with -deps-font-include I
discover the following fonts:

Trevor-Bacas-Computer-2:~/Documents/music/lilypond/test trevorbaca$
grep -a BeginFont 211.eps
%%BeginFont: CenturySchL-Roma
%%BeginFont: Emmentaler-20

And then placing the test .eps file into InDesign causes InDesign to
complain that it can't find Emmentaler-20. This makes sense as
InDesign seems to know about neither size 18 nor 20.

So question for anybody who knows about OS X font management: why
would FontBook know about two sizes of Emmentaler that InDesign does
not?

Another question: why is InDesign complaining about not knowing about
Emmentaler-20? Isn't the whole point of an EPS that the EPS carry
around all necessary font descriptions? Shouldn't that be enough to
make InDesign happy?

--
Trevor Bača