Re: Preferred way of invoking lilypond from the commandline under OS X?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Preferred way of invoking lilypond from the commandline under OS X?
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 17:41:42 -0500

On 9/2/06, Benjamin Esham <address@hidden> wrote:
  Graham Percival wrote:

> Trevor Bača wrote:
>
>> Graham, I know the manual is feature-ready and in a wait state for
>> final release. If it's easy to add, we might insert into 13.2
>> something like "To invoke LilyPond from the commandline under OS X,
>> run path/to/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond. The same is
>> true of the other scripts in the /bin directory, including
>> lilypond-book, convert-ly, abc2ly, etc."
>
> Sure!  Fixes like this are always welcome.  I'm not going to add a
> new chapter or completely rewrite an existing one, but small
> changes to text like this are completely ok.  Please send more!  :)

OK then :-)

A much easier way to invoke Lilypond under OS X is just to add the
relevant directory to your $PATH.  So, for csh and tcsh, add this to
your .cshrc:

     setenv PATH /Applications/Lilypond.app/Resources/bin:{$PATH}

Obviously, replacing the path to Lilypond.app if necessary.

I'm not sure what the syntax would be for bash and other shells; can
anyone help with that?

Under bash, open .profile and add

 export PATH="/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin":$PATH

--
Trevor Bača