Re: Preferred way of invoking lilypond from the commandline under OS X?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Preferred way of invoking lilypond from the commandline under OS X?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:26:08 -0700

Benjamin Esham wrote:
 Graham Percival wrote:

Sure! Fixes like this are always welcome. I'm not going to add a new chapter or completely rewrite an existing one, but small changes to text like this are completely ok. Please send more! :)

OK then :-)

Thanks for your enthusiasm, but please take a look at the existing (and latest 2.9) docs:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/Notes-for-the-MacOS-X-app.html

A much easier way to invoke Lilypond under OS X is just to add the relevant directory to your $PATH. So, for csh and tcsh, add this to your .cshrc:

    setenv PATH /Applications/Lilypond.app/Resources/bin:{$PATH}

Although the current manual only lists how to do it in bash, that's been the default in OSX since 10.3. If somebody knows how to change their shell, then they can figure out how to set their own path. :) So I don't think it's worth adding this; it would only confuse unix newbies.

Cheers,
- Graham