Re: polyphony & placement of accidentals

From: luc
Subject: Re: polyphony & placement of accidentals
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:43:23 +0000 (UTC)

Luc <luc <at> smooth.ch> writes:

> In this measure under Windows XP, the notehead of the last "bes" is
> separated from the accidental by the upper voice - can this be remedied?
>
> \version "2.8.6"
>
> \score {
>   <<
>    \override Staff.NoteCollision  #'merge-differently-headed = ##t
>    \override Staff.NoteCollision  #'merge-differently-dotted = ##t
>    #(set-accidental-style 'modern)
>
>    \context Voice="oben" {
>     \stemUp
>     \clef "G"
>     \key  f \major
>     \time 3/8
>      g       8
>      c   ''  16
>      b   '   16
>      c   ''   8
>    }
>    \\
>    \context Voice="unten" {
>     \stemDown
>      g       8
>      bes '     8
>      bes '     8
>    }
>   >>
>   \layout {ragged-right= ##t}
> }

Only now I discovered the paper "Standard Music Notation Practice"  edited by
the Music Publisher Association  where they recommend to do it like Lilypond
does - i.e. to align the stems of notes with opposite stems and an interval of
a second.

However, what I am complaining about is not the appearance of the 3rd 8th of
this measure. I just have the feeling that the readability of this measure is
not optimal since the flat sign of the last "bes" seems to be nearer to the
preceding 16th than to the note it belongs to.

Sorry to have bothered you!
Luc