Re: Capo chords

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Capo chords
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:34:59 -0700 (PDT)

I'm a guitarist, usually capo usage is only suggested in a score but is not
mandatory.  Something at the beginning like "capo 3rd fret".  The chord
names should always reflect what is actually sounded for the key written, in
case somebody who does not own a capo also wants to play your song.  If I
saw C(A) in a score I would probably play an A minor chord or a C6 chord, it
would never dawn on me that A meant something other than A, or I may
confusedly play a polychord of C over A.  I know this does not answer your
question though.

But the easy way to get your "dual named" chords to come out is with the
chord name exceptions list.  This list allows you to traslate the default
generated markup of a chord name into anything you want, the root names will
still participate in transposition and you can code the (A-form) tags into
the exception rule and those wont transpose (they would be treated similar
to m7 or m7b5, etc).  Search this archive for how to set up a chord names
exception list and use it in your code, there is a good example out here
(search for jazzychords).  If you cant find it then mail me offline and I'll
send you some sample code when I get home.

If you do use this notation I would definitely include an explanation on the
page.

Rick