Re: continuous numbering over several pieces

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: continuous numbering over several pieces
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:39:07 +0200

I'm afraid I cannot provide any perfect solution. The problem, as has been
discussed several times on the mailing list, is that you have run into a limitation of LilyPond, namely that you can only have one \mark at each bar line. Therefore it's not possible to specify one \mark to appear at the and of a line and another one to appear at the same (musically) bar line after the line break. One possible workaround is to attach one of the markups to a note instead, for example the one before the line break. Another possibility might be to add a spacer note after the final bar line and use \stopStaff and \startStaff to hide the corresponding staff lines. The result will be
that the final score line is shortened a bit, which might look well anyway.

  /Mats

Luc wrote:
Hi Mats

I followed your advice writing all the parts in one score and now I run into problems with naming the movements ("first", "second") at the left of a new line (like "piece=" in the \header would do) and marking the end of a movement with "fine", "dal segno" or glyphs. These marks should be aligned with the line or the bar, not with the note. Obviously the 2 adjacent \mark \markup create problems.

Thanks for a good solution!
Luc

\version "2.8.6"
{
\mark \markup "first    "
\repeat unfold 12 { e' 1 }
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #right
\mark \markup "Fine"

\break
\mark \markup { "second" }
\repeat unfold 18 { g' 1 }
}
\markup {
\wordwrap-string #"Where is it? The *Fine* disappeared and the *second* which should be on the next line moved to the line before!"
}
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mats Bengtsson" <address@hidden>