Re: Half-sheet music

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Half-sheet music
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:23:36 -0700 (PDT)

I dont know what platform you are on, but I use custom paper sizes all the
time on WindowsXP, here are the steps to follow:

1) First make sure your system can understand this paper size, so open up
the control panel for printers under Settings / Control Panel / Printers

2) On this panel open the File menu and select "Server Properties", click
the "create new form" checkbox and add a new custom paper size for your cut
sheets of 8.5 x 5.5 inches.  Give this form a name like "MarchingSheet" or
whatever.

3) OK out of the dialog box, now your system "knows about" the kind of paper
you want to use.

4) The next step is to get LilyPond to know about it too...

5) Open up the lilypond system file called "paper.scm" in the place where
you installed LilyPond, by default it will be in: "C:\Program
Files\LilyPond\usr\share\lilypond\current\scm\paper.scm"

6) Open this file in a text editor and find the existing list of form names,
seach for the word "legal".  Copy one of the existing forms and add it as a
new line, then modify the form name to be "MarchingSheet" and enter the
paper size, it will look like this:

("MarchingSheet" . (cons (* 5.5 in) (* 8.5 in)))

7) Save and close the paper.scm file (it may be a good idea to make a backup
copy of paper.scm before doing steps 6 and 7 just in case)

8) Now in your music you can tell lilypond to uilize your new paper form by
specifying the following (along with any other \paper properties, adjusting
line width, margins, landscape/portrait to taste):

#(set-default-paper-size "MarchingSheet" 'portrait)
\paper {
        paper-height = 8.5\in
        paper-width = 5.5\in
        line-width = 4.5\in
        left-margin = 0.25\in
}

Now your output should go to PDF at that size and Adobe Reader will show a
document size of 5.5 x 8.5, in Adobe Reader just go to printer setup and
select MarchingSheet as the form you want to print.  Select "page scaling"
none.

Load up the printer and print it.

PS I have had no problems using this procedure under WindowsXP, however
under Windows2000 the new custom form names are not always recognized.  If
the form name is not recognized then you may be able to still select "letter
size" but load the printer with the cut sheets.  The important part is that
LilyPond is generating the proper document size.

HTH
Rick