Re: Two-column stanzas

From: Geoff Horton
Subject: Re: Two-column stanzas
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:18:36 -0400

What you want to do is to stack them side-by-side using markup
commands, rather like this:

\markup {
 \fill-line {
   \hspace #1.0 % add more of these at the beginning and end
   \hspace #1.0 % to move the verses closer together
   \column {
     "5. The fifth verse goes here"
     "With all its many lines"
   }
   \hspace #3 % The argument does matter here!
   \column {
     "6. The sixth verse goes here"
     "With all its many lines"
   \hspace #1.0 % Delete these at beginning and end
   \hspace #1.0 % if the verses are wide and you need room

If you need to put verses on top over verses, like this

Verse 3       Verse 4
Verse 5       Verse 6

You can make a column of verses using code like this:
\markup {
 \large {
   \fill-line { % This centers the words, which looks nicer
     \hspace #1.0 % gives the fill-line something to work with
     \column {
       "4. Verse four's first line"
       "And verse four's second"
       "Is followed by a third line"
       "And then by a fourth"
       \hspace #1.0 % (Basically inserts a blank line; the argument
is irrelevant)
       "5. Verse five's first line"
     }
     \hspace #1.0 % gives the fill-line something to work with

Hope that helps.

Geoff