Re: Minimum padding after barlines for notes with accidentals?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Minimum padding after barlines for notes with accidentals?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:58:08 -0400

Hi, Rick:

Yes, now I see it is happening on my left oriented string numbers, and
arpeggios too. I think I'll wait for a more global fix from a developer, (even if I have to try to do one of those complicated "call back" fixes),
rather than spend a week re-editing every measure and all future work.

I, too, would love a global fix! However, I've had too many time- sensitive engravings to get out the door (commisisons, etc.) in the meantime, so I went ahead with all the manual tweaks.

Maybe this post belongs on the bug list, pretty serious IMO.

I've cross-posted; we'll see what happens!  =)

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan wrote:

Hi, Rick!

There is a problem with notes that both start a measure and have an
accidental. [...] I can't be the first one to notice it).

If you search the archives, you'll see that I've asked this question
a number of times.
And it's also true of other "left-side attachements", e.g., arpeggios.

I've yet to receive a satisfactory response/solution/explanation.  =\

What I've been doing in the meantime is manually tweaking the X-
extent of the Accidental (or BarLine) to force the padding, e.g.

     \once \override Accidental #'X-extent = #'(-2 . 1) bs

It's definitely a time-consuming process, but I haven't found a
better solution -- if you find one, I'd greatly appreciate hearing
about it!  =)

Best,
Kieren.