How do I typeset this glissando?

From: Christopher Culver
Subject: How do I typeset this glissando?
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:43:49 +0300

In the score I am typesetting, glissandi are notated as a given pitch
and duration (say, "a4") followed by a straight line and then a small
stemless notehead at the final pitch. How can I do this with Lilypond?

Furthermore, the duration of the first note decides the length of the
entire glissando, but so far all of my attempts at working with
glissandi have failed barchecks because Lilypond seems to assume that
the duration holds only for the first pitch.