Re: Swing Midi

From: Ted Walther
Subject: Re: Swing Midi
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:25:13 -0700

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 02:15:01PM -0500, David Greene wrote:
I know only as much Scheme as is covered in the 2.9.17 manual, which is
to say, not much.  What is the recommended reference?  SICP?  I could
do this in C++ with no problem, but Scheme is a very different beast.
I'm not at all sure how to do complex data structure manipulation in
it.

I would recommend the following books: Peter Seibel's book "Practical
Common Lisp", and "On Lisp" by Paul Graham.  That will give you a good
grasp of the LISP weltanschauung.  Then to switch over to Scheme, I'd
recommend the "Little Schemer", which will be quick and trivial after
you absorb the other two books.  SICP is one of those books everyone has
on their shelf but few people have actually read.  Like the Bible.

The three books listed above will still leave you needing to figure out
how the Guile and C++ of lilypond interact with each other and with
input .ly files.  Be nice if there was a writeup of that somewhere.

Ted

--
It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 2459 E 41 Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2 (Canada)
Contact: 604-435-5787