Re: Swing Midi

From: David A. Greene
Subject: Re: Swing Midi
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:53:22 -0500

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

if you're only interested in adding swing to the MIDI (not the notation), it will be a lot easier to multiply durations suitably, ie. do

  c8  c8 -> c8*2/3 c8*1/3

Doing note splitting with correct ties would be a royal pain in the behind.

But doesn't that get you the time of one eighth note?  What you really
want is:

c4*2/3 c8*2/3  <=>  c8*4/3 + c8*2/3  <=>  c8*2/3 ~ c8*2/3 c8*2/3

A real triplet sequence.  Right?

The problem is what to do with things like dotted quarters.  One would
like to extend the dotted quarter ever so slightly to carry the feel
over to an eighth following it.  I suppose it's just another multiplier
on the dotted quarter.

Is this relatively easier to do in Scheme?  I only threw out the tied
eighths as an idea, not a set-in-stone design.

I do like your solution the more I think about it.

                        -Dave