Re: Orchestral score file organization

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Orchestral score file organization
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

Here is a simple example of separating music from structure, just make sure
all the music goes into variables, then the templates only reference
variables, not any particular songs music:

myMusic_ForConcertoNo3.ly would contain this kind of stuff:

varViolinINotes = \relative c' { a-4 b c d }
varViolinIINotes = \relative c' { d2 f }
varClarinetNotes = \relative c' { d16 e f g d f g a d2 }
varTitle = "Concerto Number 3"
varKey = { \key c \major }
varTime = { \time 4/4 }
varStyle = "Moderato"
varComposer = "Beat-hooven"

myStructure_ViolinI.ly might contain this kind of stuff and is re-useable
because it never references any particular song, only variables:

   \new Staff \with {
         instrument = \markup { \sans "Violin I" }
         stringNumberOrientations = #'(left)
         fingeringOrientations = #'(right)
   } % end with
   {
        #(set-accidental-style 'modern)
        \clef "treble"
        \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #left \mark
\markup { \bold \smaller \varStyle }
        \varKey
        \varTime
        \varViolinINotes
   }

Now myStructure_ViolinI.ly can be refined over time and re-used for all your
music, because it just provides structure, and is not affiliated with any
particular musical piece.

To compile you just make a 3rd .ly file that includes these 2 files
together:

myCompileViolinI_ForConcertoNo3.ly would contain this:

\include "myMusic_ForConcertoNo3.ly"
\include "myStructure_ViolinI.ly"

Now to compile the Violin I part for your next piece, a Mozart score (not
the Beat-hooven score), use this:

myCompileViolinI_ForMozartConcerto.ly would contain this:

\include "myMusic_ForMozartConcerto.ly"
\include "myStructure_ViolinI.ly"

Note that you no longer ever have to write another Violin I score, as long
as you are only adding references to variables to it and not music.  IOW
keep music separate from structure.

Of course to have headings you will need structure files for heading block
which references to varTitle set in your music file.  To combine staffs into
conductor scores just concatenate them as shown in my first post, those
high-level .ly files can also contain any staff grouping blocks.  In the end
keeping music separated from structure makes you very productive by the time
you've scored your 60th symphony, because all the work is completed, except
for entering the notes, if you can re-use the part templates.