Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 46, Issue 59

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 46, Issue 59
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 07:44:59 -0500

On 9/20/06, Henrik Frisk <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Still working on edge-text adjustments ...
>
> In the snippet below, I've got exactly what I want -- thanks to much
> help from the list -- with the one exception that the padding of the
> two vertical spanners is off-center relative to each piece of edge
> text. Notice that the solid horizontal line runs into the (lefthand
> sides) of the "b" and "c" edge text (though the righthand sides are
> nicely cushioned by whitespace).

To get what I think you want, I use combinations of #'bound-padding and
#'extra-offset. In your example I would decrease the #'bound-padding
(which, btw can take float values and values greater/smaller than -1
to 1) and use #'extra-offset = (-1.0 . 0.) to move the entire spanner to
the left. It's tricky and time consuming but works. In your example it
would work for the first spanner, I'm not sure about the second.

Hi Henrik,

Hm ... adding in #'extra-offset was my first instinct ... but while,
say, #'(-1 . 0) moves the solid horizontal line to the left (which is
good), it also moves the edge text to the left (which is bad, because
it throws off the horizontal centering of the edge text underneath the
notehead); see attached.

Am I missing something? Is there some way to move the edge text "a"
indepdently of the solid horizontal line?

As another approach, Is there a way to shorten the X-extent of the
spanner altogether?

> So the question is: "Is there a way to control left- and
> right-bound-padding independently?". I'd like to say something like
>
>   \override TextSpanner #'bound-padding-left = #1
>   \override TextSpanner #'bound-padding-right = #2

I would love this!

Maybe a possibility for sponsorship?

--
Trevor Bača