Re: Tremolo controls

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Tremolo controls
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:23:47 -0400

"Palmer, Ralph" <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings -
>
> In the following construction, I can't figure out what controls what.
> Can someone please try to explain to me how the calculations are made?
> The construction, as written, (in 4/4 time) produces a tremolo between
> c-sharp and e, with the c-sharp and e appearing as half-notes. It seems
> the "32" produces the 3 beams, but how does the "8" produce the
> appearance of a half-note? Or am I looking at it the wrong way?
>
> \repeat "tremolo" 8 { cs''32( e''32) }
>
> Thank you for any help you can give me,

The idea is that a tremolo is special notation for a bunch of repeated
shorter notes.  The number of beams in the tremolo dictates the
duration of the shorter notes, and the note head(s) dictate the length
of the repeat.  The half-note appearance is due to the fact that eight
pairs of 32nd notes are equal in duration to a half note.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)