Re: Instrument Transposition 'Leakage' To Other Instruments

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Instrument Transposition 'Leakage' To Other Instruments
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:32:00 +0200

Since \partcombine is involved, it's not surprising that these
things can happen. The resulting music will end up in one of two Voices and depending on the music that surrounds the
\transposition command, this will either end up on one or
the other Voice context. One workaround is to make a special
\score block for the MIDI output, which doesn't use \partcombine.

  /Mats

Quoting Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

This doesn't sound logical; my bet is that it is a bug. However, I can't really tell without having a working example and trying it for myself. Please submit a minimal working example to the bug- list.

Cheers,
- Graham

Will Oram wrote:
Take the following snippet. There are two staves; the second one transposes in MIDI using \transposition a , whilst the first does not. Process it in 2.8.4 and listen to the generated MIDI. It clearly sounds like crap; this is because the first instrument is being transposed like the second.

\simultaneous {
           \new Staff <<
            \new Voice { \InstrumentI }

               \new Staff <<
            \partcombine
                \relative c'' { \InstrumentIIA }
                \relative g' { \InstrumentIIB }

}   \layout {}

\midi { }

% end snippet

Now, I know why this osmosis happens. If both \InstrumentIIA and \InstrumentIIB include \transposition a , this problem occurs. Delete it from \InstrumentIIB, and \InstrumentI sounds at concert pitch.

My question is: is this a bug? This is not the first time this has happened to me when writing up a score, and it's taken many days to pinpoint the cause. If it's intentional, it's not logical.

I have to smile and remember
when you accuse me of that smell
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |