Transposing tenor an octave down in midis

From: Catalin Francu
Subject: Transposing tenor an octave down in midis
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:57:11 -0700

Hi,

I'm typesetting some choral music. It is written in four staves, SATB,
with the S, A and T staves in the G clef and the B staff in the base
cleff. The problem is that when I generate the midi from that score,
the tenor is sung as written, which is one octave too high. Therefore
the midi sounds wrong, the tenor overtakes the soprano all the time.
I'm attaching the relevant .ly files (the main one is
sfinte_dumnezeule_1.ly)

Can I somehow tell the \midi block to transpose the tenor score one
octave below what is written? Or maybe there exists a midi instrument
that plays the score one octave below, like a bass instrument?

This is Romanian music and I've seen this format a lot, with tenor
written in the treble clef. Also, I'm trying to stay close to the
printed music so I wouldn't want to use the tenor clef.

Thanks (and thanks for Lilypond!),
Catalin

PS -- Please don't comment on everything else that's wrong with my
score, I'm very new to Lilypond :)