Figured Bass question: Why is <5 4> upside down?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Figured Bass question: Why is <5 4> upside down?
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:40:25 -0000

This question refers to version 2.8.3 running on Ubuntu Linux 6.06.
I think it was posted during one of our mailing list vacations, and
may have never made it out to the list.

I just tested, and the problem also occurs on 2.9.19.

For most figures, lily prints the numbers in the order I enter them,
so <7 5> prints with a seven above a five.  But when I enter <5 4>,
for some reason lily prints it with the four above the five.

The facsimile I'm transcribing has it the other way (with the five
above the four), and while I'm not much of a keyboard player, I would
expect even an experienced continuo player to be confused by this
inconsistency.

The attached file demonstrates the phenomenon -- is it a bug, or a
feature that I don't understand?

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139