instrument names for GrandStaff, etc.

From: Marcus Macauley
Subject: instrument names for GrandStaff, etc.
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:59:45 -0400

Hi,

Just a quick suggestion. Why not let a GrandStaff have an instrumentName (and a shortInstrumentName), just like a Staff and a PianoStaff already do?

Instrument names could even be allowed for a ChoirStaff or a StaffGroup, though I imagine the need to use it in those cases would be less common.

As I see it, any group of staves should be able to be named, as a group, with the name appearing to the left of the vertical midpoint between the two (or more) staves.

Also, whether these extra instrumentNames are implemented sooner or later, I think the documentation should explain which ones are available. These are the sections where such an explanation would seem to be most helpful:

8.2.5 Instrument names
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/Instrument-names.html

6.4.7 System start delimiters
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/System-start-delimiters.html