Re: To hide a time signature

From: Marcus Macauley
Subject: Re: To hide a time signature
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 00:33:27 -0400

Hi Kieren,

I don't claim it's necessarily "better", but another way
[to hide the initial time signature but not subsequent ones]
would be

\version "2.9.17"
{
        \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f
        \time 4/4 c'1 \time 3/4 c'2.
}

Indeed, that works too. But where is the "stencil" setting documented? And why isn't it mentioned on:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/TimeSignature.html
?

In other words, how did you learn that tweak, and how might I have discovered one like that myself, without asking the mailing list?

(Searching Google for "stencil site:lilypond.org" didn't yield any obvious answers. Nor did the Lilypond index, in which "stencil" links to "8.1.6 Overview of text markup commands" --
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/Overview-of-text-markup-commands.html
-- which explains the \stencil command, but not the #'stencil setting.)

Thanks,
Marcus