Fragments; quality of png, and unuseable eps, when using --preview

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Fragments; quality of png, and unuseable eps, when using --preview
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:59:17 -0700 (PDT)

v2.9.22 (Win XP)

I'm using the following command lines to create small musical fragments that
I can later reference in a word processor document that has text and various
musical excerpts:

EXAMPLE BEGIN

To make a small useseable PNG snippet:

"C:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\lilypond-windows.exe" --png -p
"C:\Job015\smallsnippet.ly"

To make a small EPS snippet:

"C:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\lilypond-windows.exe" -b eps
-dno-gs-load-fonts -dinclude-eps-fonts "C:\Job015\smallsnippet.ly"

EXAMPLE END

It's working great, except that the PNG files produced seem a little bit
"fuzzy" to me.

Is it my imagination, (my eyes are not as good as they were 40 years ago)?
Is the quality of the PNG output a little on the low side?  Can the default
quality level be upped easily for a future release?

Also I tried imbedding the accompanying .EPS file that is also outputted by
the above command.  But in my word processor they show up as a blank
rectangle (Microsoft Word, Win XP).  I have a suspician that the fonts are
somehow not available in the EPS for Word to render properly, but the file
sizes are around 200k for just a one measure snippet, so thats probably the
fonts.

Anyone else have these similar problem using musical fragments as either EPS
or PNG?

Ideally I would like to use the EPS files for embedding in other documents
(because I assume they are lossless in terms of future quality).  But I
would need a fix for the possible bug with why the EPS files show up blank?
For the time being the slightly fuzzy PNG files will have to do, until I can
track down the EPS problem.

(Note: the EPS command above I got straight from the user manual)

Thanks to anyone who has already gone down this path and can provide some
insight on either the PNG or EPS problems I'm having.

Rick