Re: OOoLilyPond question

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: OOoLilyPond question
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:40:10 +0000

Samuel Hartmann wrote:
Hi David,

David Bobroff wrote:
[...]

Now, to the real question: I put in a short musical example as a test. It was more than one line long. This was intentional. It was a nine measure snippet. It came out on three lines. Four measures on the first line, four on the second, and one on the last. Additionally, the two four-measure lines were not the same width. Why is this? Is OOoLilyPond limited to one-liners? I hope not. This would be a show-stopper. Is it because the Lily code is not contained within a \score {} block? OOoLilyPond chokes on \score {} blocks (at least on my machine).
Could you please post the example code?

Um, I just tried placing my code in a \score {} block and now it's not objecting. Ah, but that's because I was using 'nofragment20.0y'. I changed to default16 and it gave me an error box:

*****
programming error: Cannot find file for FontConfig cache.
continuing, cross fingers
Processing `tmpfile.ly'
tmpfile.ly:32:0: error: syntax error, unexpected \score

\score{
tmpfile.ly:28:0: error: errors found, ignoring music expression

{
error: failed files: "tmpfile.ly"
*****

So this error occurs in "fragment mode" if a \score {} block is included. Feature or bug? Now that I understand the behavior it's not a problem for me. I'll be using mostly 'nofragment' anyway.

I think a can create a template for that all the lines have the same width. This should correspond to the fragment/nofragment option in lilypond-book code.

Well, I started poking around and found a 'nofragment20.ly' template. That seems to be what I was after. It also appears simple enough to create my own templates for different sizes. So, my question about multi-line music in OOoLilyPond is answered.

Also, I added a symlink to the templates etc. but this is not remembered by OOoLilyPond when I start it OpenOffice again (or perhaps it's after a new login or reboot).
Please explain this in more detail, I don't understand where you put a symlink to which files.

The OOoLilyPond files I put in a user's (mine) home directory. When running as root, rather than copying the scripts/templates etc. to root's home I created a symlink to the directory. When I start of OpenOffice, though, it doesn't find the templates. The 'config' box shows the path to /root/OOoLilyPond/...and so on, rather than to /home/david/OOoLilyPond/.... But, /root/OOoLilyPond is a symlink to /home/david/OOoLilyPond. OOoLilyPond does not appear to be convinced that the symlink works. I have tried simply changing the template and script paths and saving them, but that doesn't work either. The next time I start OpenOffice it has reverted back to the old path. I can get around this by copying the files to the path it wants to search, but that seems a bit clumsy.

-David