Re: Newbie Question about cadenzas

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Newbie Question about cadenzas
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:13:31 +0200

Did you search for "hidden note" in the index to the manual?
You may also want to use the feature described in the section on
"Scaling Durations".

/Mats

Silouan wrote:
Everything is just about perfect!  Thank you again for your help.  I have
(hopefully) one last question.  I need to put in a number between the verses
in the lyrics, but there won't be a note above the number.  I tried to
enclose the number in a string with the last syllable of the verse, but the
note above was centered above the entire string, instead of over the last
syllable.  Is this possible to do? I've been trying to find a "hidden note"
or some such to take up the space...

Thanks,
Silouan

Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:
I have not had the need to use whichBar yet, so I had to look it up too ;)

Silouan wrote:
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

I had assumed (I know--bad idea) that the whichBar was associated with
the removal of the time signature. Shows what I know! It looks great!
Thanks again!

Silouan

Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:
Your example prints the bar lines if you simply comment out the line
that says:

whichBar = #""

at the layout staff scope level.

Setting whichBar at staff level seems to override your already correct
\bar "|" statements.

Silouan wrote:
I've just started learning Lilypond and am very excited about the
possibilities!  What I am trying to do is to typeset music that we use
in our church services (Greek Orthodox).  The entire service is a
cadenza!  Everything (so far) is working well, except that I can't seem
to find how to insert a bar line at particular points in the service. I've searched to no avail. Can anyone tell me, please, how to insert
bars at manual places in a cadenza? Here's what I have so far.  I'm
willing to make any changes suggested; I've pieced this together from
the documentation and some things I've found on the net.  Many thanks
in advance!

Silouan

\version "2.6.3"

melody = \relative c' { \clef alto
        \cadenzaOn c4 c d2 ( e2 ) c4 c c c d e f2 \cadenzaOff \bar "|"
        \cadenzaOn e4 e e e e e d2 c1 \cadenzaOff \bar "|"
}

text = \lyricmode {
        In Thy king __ dom re -- mem -- ber us, O Lord,
        when Thou com -- est in Thy king -- dom.
}

\header {
        title ="The Beatitudes"
        subtitle = "1st Tone"