Re: lilypond-book shifts music right relative to text

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: lilypond-book shifts music right relative to text
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:07:11 -0400

    Mats> Quoting Laura Conrad <address@hidden>:
    >>
    Arvid> Now, I guess lilypond-book could be modified to give an
    Arvid> explicit *and deliberately misleading* BoundingBox argument
    Arvid> to the \includegraphics command in order to get the correct
    Arvid> placement without compromising the EPS file.  That would,
    Arvid> IMHO, be a better and more permanent solution.
    >>
    >> I agree that we need a better solution.  Ideally, it would be
    >> one that would have a better connection to the way LaTeX thinks
    >> about the world, but I'd settle for anything that means I don't
    >> have to maintain my script that does your sed.

    Mats> The problem is that this is not always what you want. Think
    Mats> for example of situations where you include a short snippet
    Mats> in the middle of a line of text or in a table. Then, you
    Mats> don't anything to stick out to the left of the bounding box.

lilypond-book knows whether it's setting complete lines or only
snippets.  It's obviously done some kind of calculating what length
line I told the geometry package to set in LaTeX.  It's just that it
gets it wrong, and for full lines ends up with text sticking out to
the right of the bounding box.

You can either see this problem as:

     It's getting the length of the staff line right, but then adding
     the stuff to the left of the staff in the wrong place, that is,
     within the margin instead of outside.

or:

     It's getting the length of the staff line wrong, because it's
     failing to take into account the stuff to the left of the staff.

I don't greatly care which problem gets fixed.  Arvid's solution would
fix the first problem.  I don't see why lilypond-book would have to
apply it in the case of lines where it wasn't trying to fill up the
whole LaTeX \textwidth.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139