Scheme question

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Scheme question
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:52:11 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to "dynamically generate" values for the following 3 hard-coded
properties based on a rule, and the current default paper size, but I dont
know scheme:

        paper-height = 11.0\in
        paper-width = 8.5\in
        line-width = 7.7\in

So basically how would I code the above hard coded values to be math
expressions based on the following rule:

I always want my left and right margins to be .4 inches.

So the formula for line with would be (default paper width - .8)

The formula for paper-height and paper-width would be whatever the default
paper currently is, but I dont know how to set it from those values.

I'm trying to make my \paper block code more intelligent so that it
automatically resets the line-width and paper-width/height based on whatever
I set #set-default-paper-size to.  top/bottom margins are ok to be
hard-coded as well as most of the other \paper properties whenever I change
form sizes.

If I can get line-width to set itself based on an expression, I can more
easily change form sizes from my job stream using the -d option for paper
size and not have to re-edit the ly file.  But I dont know scheme.

thanks for any help on how to set these properties based on the current
default paper size and my .4/in margins rule.
Rick