Analysis brackets & linebreaks

From: Rutger
Subject: Analysis brackets & linebreaks
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 03:13:04 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

I'm considering using Lilypond for my musicology thesis, but I am still
learning it and there's one thing I still can't work around, which is the
following:

- I'd like to use analysis brackets to indicate the form of a melody, but
the horizontal brackets created by \startGroup\stopGroup split into two
seperate brackets over a line break, but what I would prefer is one
half-bracket with an open (i.e. horizontal) ending and one half with an open
beginning (¬) at the next line. How can I solve this? I have noticed that
the example with the split ties under the 'difficult tweaks' section in the
manual (9.3.6), together with the edge-height property may offer a solution,
but I haven't been able to get this to work. (Actually, I am still hoping
that there may be a more smooth and elegant solution to my seemingly simple
problem, too...)
- Besides, is there a easy way to place letters just above these brackets
(to indicate phrases like A, B, A', etc)?

Is there anone who can help me with this?
Many thanks in advance,

Rutger Helmers

(P.S.: I hope you haven't received this message twice; my apologies in case
you have - I had some trouble signing up for the mailing list...)