Re: Polyphonic Tablature

From: Daniel Tonda Castillo
Subject: Re: Polyphonic Tablature
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 02:22:04 -0500

Hi:

When dealing with Tablatures, I usually separate the voices right from the start, to avoid double work. For each voice create a voice context. The equivalent in TabStaff is TabVoice. This I think will work in 2.6.3.

I do it this way because as you say: << { .... } // { ... } >> doesn't work in TabStaff context. Maybe it does now, but I got used to doing it this way...

Here's what I did with the png that you use as reference.

%% BEGIN

\version "2.9.19"

VoiceANotes = \relative {
 \voiceOne
 fis8 a, d fis e fis, ais <cis e>
}
VoiceBNotes = \relative {
 \voiceTwo
 d,2 cis
}

Notation = \simultaneous { %% Combine both parts for notation
 \time 4/4
 \clef "G_8"
 \key d \major
 << \context Voice=VoiceA \VoiceANotes >>
 << \context Voice=VoiceB \VoiceBNotes >>
}

Tablature = \simultaneous { %% Combine both parts for Tablature
 \time 4/4
 \override TabStaff.Stem #'transparent = ##t %% Makes stems transparent
 \override TabStaff.Beam #'transparent = ##t %% Makes beams transparent
 << \context TabVoice=TabVoiceA \VoiceANotes >>
 << \context TabVoice=TabVoiceB \VoiceBNotes >>
}

\score {
 \context StaffGroup {
   \simultaneous {
     << \context Staff=FullNotation \Notation >>
     << \context TabStaff=FullTab \Tablature >>

%% END

Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:

--

El pensamiento lúcido requiere más valor que inteligencia. -- Thomas Szasz.
Thanks Mats, but this example is still producing 2 separate tab staffs, not a

Rick

Mats Bengtsson-4 wrote:
See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-10/msg00285.html

  /Mats

Quoting "Rick Hansen (aka RickH)" <address@hidden>:

Yes this has been a problem I've had too, it would be nice if one can use
the
same notes/voices on both the staff and tabstaff, without duplicating the
work.

Nigel Tao-2 wrote:
Hiya.  Lilypond newbie here - so I'm probably mangling the
terminology...

I am trying to re-use the same (polyphonic, separated by \\) notes for
both a regular staff and a tablature staff, but the tablature and \\
don't seem to be playing nice, so instead of typing out the notes just
once in a macro and invoking it twice, I have to re-jig the two voices
as a single-voiced chords in the tablature version, ending up with an
inelegant duplication of effort.

Picture of what I want to achieve:
http://nigel.tao.googlepages.com/polyphonic-tablature.png

What I'm doing:
----------------------------------
{
\new StaffGroup <<
\new Staff {
        \key d \major
        \clef "G_8"
        <<
        {
                fis'8 a d' fis'
                e' fis ais <cis' e'>
        } \\
        {
                d2 cis

\new TabStaff {
        \override TabStaff.Stem #'transparent = ##t
        \override TabStaff.Beam #'transparent = ##t
        <fis' d>8 a d' fis'
        <e' cis> fis ais <cis' e'>
----------------------------------

What doesn't work
----------------------------------
notes = <<
        {
                fis'8 a d' fis'
                e' fis ais <cis' e'>
        } \\
        {
                d2 cis
        }

{
\new StaffGroup <<
\new Staff {
        \key d \major
        \clef "G_8"
        \notes
}

\new TabStaff {
        \override TabStaff.Stem #'transparent = ##t
        \override TabStaff.Beam #'transparent = ##t
        \notes
----------------------------------

Trying the second way, I get an empty TAB staff and doubled notes on
the regular staff.  If I take out the \overrides (even though I really
want to hide the stems and beams), then I get four staves, of which
the second one (TAB) is empty.

Cutting out the << \\ >> "works", in that I get the same notes exactly
once on each clef, but that isn't the music I want to write.  :-)

I was just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or whether what I
want to do is just not easy?  I am on version 2.6.3, if that matters,
since that's what my distro gave me...

thanks,
Nigel.