Lyrics collide with barlines

From: Catalin Francu
Subject: Lyrics collide with barlines
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:57:44 -0700

Hi,

I have typeset over 100 pages of music with Lilypond 2.8.6 last month
and there's only one thing that I could not figure out how to do.
Every now and then, lyrics will collide with barlines. See for
example:

http://catalin.francu.com/Music/colinde/

(some Romanian carols). Look at la_vitleem_colo_n_jos.ly and the
generated la_vitleem_colo_n_jos.pdf. You'll see the collisions right
from the first system. The documentation proposes a solution here:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.8/Documentation/user/lilypond/Vocal-music.html#Vocal-music

However, that doesn't work well for me. See the modified
la_vitleem_colo_n_jos2.ly and la_vitleem_colo_n_jos2.pdf in the same
folder. Two unwanted effects happen when I do what the manual says:

- The bar lines now extend down, including the bass lyrics (before,
they ended on the bass staff)
- Some non-simple barlines (such as the repeat barline after measure
18) appear chopped in pieces.

Ideally, I'd like a way to tell Lilypond "I want at least two mm of
space between barlines and text".

Other than that, big big kudos (I wish I only had one gripe with every
software package I used).

Catalin