Re: chord name size

From: Brett Duncan
Subject: Re: chord name size
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:40:48 +1000

Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:
Depends on your age, eyesight and the type of score too.  For a simple fake
book lead sheet I like things big so that I can read it better in a dark
room at a distance, or at times when I'll have a cheat sheet on the floor at
my feet while performing something I have not fully memorized.  As for the #
symbol I'm using a chord names exceptions list that I can fully customize,
for example I also like to see the tensions 5, b5, #5, 7, 9, b9, #9, 11,
#11, 13, etc. stacked vertically like Hal Leonard Publishing has been doing
for a while now, this reduces the amount of horizontal space needed to show
chords that have a lot of named tensions.  I just unconditionally always use
my exceptions list now which works pretty good.

For scores that I want to have that "well-finished" look (in other
words, that I'll be distributing to others), I also reduce the font size
for chords, but for cheat sheets etc., I agree with Rick - bigger is
better. I also use an exceptions list for chord names which sets the
size and position of accidentals to what I like (the default chord
naming in LP needs to revised IM0) but I hadn't thought of stacking
tensions - thanks for mentioning it Rick!

Brett