Re: No Midi w/ crescendo

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: No Midi w/ crescendo
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:32:21 +0100

This is a well-known bug in the MIDI output. The problem is that you never specified any absolute dynamics (like \p or \mf or \ff or ...)
before the crescendo, so LilyPond has no idea on what dynamics to start
the crescendo. For some silly reason, it then doesn't start at the default dynamics level but keeps the full crescendo almost silent.

This very problem isn't documented in the section on "Creating MIDI files", but there you can find descriptions on other similar problems and also a simple way to remove all dynamics handling in the MIDI output while keeping it in the printed output, which makes sense for proof listening.

  /Mats

Quoting John Mandereau <address@hidden>:

Kamal wrote:
I am using lilypond 2.8.6

If I use the following code snippet:
a\< b c d\!

then a silent passage will be produced in the midi output although the
documentation says that unterminated crescendos will produce that.

Can can this be overcome?

As far as I have experienced with midi players (mainly with Timidity),
(de)crescendi mess up MIDI files from LilyPond playing. I don't know if
it's LilyPond or Timidity fault.

As a workaround, I remove any \<, \< and \! when I want MIDI output.

John Mandereau <address@hidden>