Re: chord :dim7

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: chord :dim7
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:05:07 -0800 (PST)

Frédéric Bron wrote:

> Does this mean that if I want all dim7 chords be written "dim", I need to
> code 12 exceptions, one for each note?

No, the exceptions list would only need one exception coded with a root of
C, in your case <c ef gf> to override dim and <c ef gf bff> to override
dim7.  I've done over a hundred songs already in many keys and all my
exceptions work, I have, over time, added exceptions "as I need them".  This
way your exceptions list will eventually mature to the point where all names
come out the way you want them to whenever you start a new piece.

But I dont code chord names directly, I code notes within the ChordNames
context to generate the names, note stacks just make more sense to me than
trying to remember all the little name fragments, where the colons go, etc.