Re: polyphonic layout

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: polyphonic layout
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:40:50 +1100

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 03:27:09PM +0100, Helge Kruse wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to this mailing list. I hope it's ok to ask these questions here.
> If not, please excuse.

No, that's what the list is here for! I will try to answer some of your
questions but it would be easier if you could send a copy of your file (did you
forget to attach it?)

> I want to write a score with two systems and two voices in the lower system.
> I found some trouble with it.
>
> 1) In the upper system I need a full 6/8 rest. But r1 stands for 8/8 rest.
> How do I get the full rest, hanging centered at the fourth line?

Try using R1 (capital R). The symbol, whilst usually associated with 8/8 is
also correct for a full bar of any time signature. If you don't want that, try
r2. which will give you a dotted minim rest.

> 2) In the second measure I would prefer stems down. I think this would be
> correct, since the notes g and d are equal far away from the middle line.

If you want to force stems down use \stemDown and reset it later with
\stemNeutral. This is in the manual at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Stems.html#Stems

> 3) The lower system has an overlay of the rest and the g. I assume Lilypond
> counts the voices from top to bottom. So I changed the order in the second
> measure. But this gives a too high rest. It should be from third to fifths
> line.

Try setting the rest manually with something like d'/rest (the d' specifies
where the rest goes. Look at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Rests.html#Rests

> 4) The slurs in the lower system should be in opposite to the stem. I tried
> to set the parentheses inside the angle brackets to get them bound to d-g
> and es-g but then they disappeared at all.

Sorry, can't help without seeing it.

> I hope I have not violated the culture in this mailing list.

No, but it's good if you can show an example of what you tried so we can see
where you've gone wrong. It's also good if you can show where in the manual
you've looked for information. If it's not there or easy to find we consider
this a bug, and we'll gladly listen to suggestions about how to fix it. Of
course, if you don't know what you're looking for it's hard to look.

> Disclaimer:
> When I write "it should", I mean these are the notation rules I know. I
> don't know in what way Lilypond could "see" this automatically. With I high
> probability I have used Lilypond in the wrong way. I don't want to critic
> the program and hope you can give me advises how to handle.

LilyPond has a set of notation rules it follows, and these can be changed by
the user up to a point. The rules it follows are generally considered the Right
Way to do things, but if you disagree you are always welcome to ask!

> Regards,
> Helge

Cameron Horsburgh