Re: Chord, variables and comments [beginner]

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Chord, variables and comments [beginner]
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:10:24 -0800 (PST)

Mats Bengtsson-4 wrote:

> It seems that a standard preprocessor like m4 should be the best
> solution to
> your problems. If you search the mailing list archives, you will find a
> number
> of discussions related to preprocessors for purely textual replacement in
> LilyPond input files. LilyPond itself does not (and will not) include any
> such preprocessor, since it just would make the program larger and more
> complicated to support and since there are several freely available
> preprocessors
> that can be used. On the other hand, it is possible to implement your
> own functions
> in LilyPond, using the Scheme programming language, see the section
> "Advanced tweaks with Scheme" in the manual, but for your purpose, I think
> a standard preprocessor is simpler and better.
>
>     /Mats
>
> Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> sorry if the question was already asked,
>> but I didn't find the answer in the
>> archive (maybe I don't know which keyword to use).
>>
>> So, I'd like to put the guitar chords into a variable in order to reuse
>> them,
>> e.g.
>>
>> GuitarChordC = {<e, c   e g   c'   e'>1}
>>
>> First, I would like to put the duration outside the variable
>>  GuitarChordC = {<e, c   e g   c'   e'>}
>>  { \GuitarChordC 1}
>> but it does not seem to work. Is there any way to do something like that?
>>
>> Second, I'd like to put a comment, something like
>>  GuitarChordC^"bla"
>> but it does not seem to work either. Is there any way to do something
>> like that?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

> --
>       Mats Bengtsson
>       Signal Processing
>       Signals, Sensors and Systems
>       Royal Institute of Technology
>       SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
>       Sweden
>       Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
>         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
>       Email: address@hidden
>       WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

The granddaddy, (developed in 1966), of macro processors ML/I is also free
and ported to many platforms.  I'm currently evaluating which one I like
better myself, so far I am leaning towards ML/I because it has nested
if/then/else/end and do/while structures, and it lets you fully define the
syntax and delimiters of your "home-made" macro language.