address@hidden: Re: Triplets and Diddles]

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: address@hidden: Re: Triplets and Diddles]
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:39:45 +1100

----- Forwarded message from Cameron Horsburgh <address@hidden> -----
Oops, forgot to forward this to the list!

From: Cameron Horsburgh <address@hidden>
To: X X <address@hidden>
Cc: Cameron Horsburgh <address@hidden>
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:25:33 +1100
Subject: Re: Triplets and Diddles

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 12:36:54PM -0800, X X wrote:

>    Wow, thanks man, that really helps. Have you thought about making your
>    program visual at all? It would make these things SO much easier than
>    just typing in code. But, I like what you're doing here, so, thanks
>    again.
>    -Will Bennett, PK Yonge Developmental Research School Drumline, second
>    Snare (Hopefully first next year)

People keep asking to make the problem 'visual' --- I presume you mean point
'n' click? --- but that's probably not going to happen, for a variety of
reasons (look at http://lilypond.org/web/about/faq for a start!).  Once you've
mastered the learning curve, though, you'll probably find that LilyPond is as
quick as they come, and it's much more configurable too.

Still, there are options, depending on your operating system. I don't know what
exists in the Windows world, but in Linux-land there are NoteEdit, RoseGarden,
Denemo which have GUIs and can export to LilyPond. You might also be able to
use another GUI, and perhaps convert the output with one of the LilyPond
convertors.

Another option is a halfway approach --- use a text editor that supports
LilyPond. This makes things a lot easier, because it will highlight the
structure of your file, run LilyPond for you, and a host of other things. For
more info look at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Editor-support.html#Editor-support

Finally, to add to my message yesterday have a look at Section 4 of the 2.10
manual --- it's got lots of tips about how to structure your files to minimise
problems.

Cameron Horsburgh

----- End forwarded message -----

Cameron Horsburgh