Re: Stupid resolution questions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Stupid resolution questions
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:53:05 +0100

All fonts should be Type1 fonts, i.e. they are described by
vector graphics, not bitmaps. The same goes for slurs,
beams and other objects that are output directly as
graphics. So, there should be no need to worry about
resolution as far as I know.

  /Mats

Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:

I am under the impression that the "dresolution" option flag setting only
applies to PNG generation.  Is this true?  And that the PDF that lily
generates really has no "resolution" of it's own to worry about?  IOW can I
assume that the PDF file is already at "pre-press quality" if it is being
printed on a machine that has been told to print it at a high quality level?

The reason I am asking is that I am about to send a hundred pages to a print
shop to get some draft copies of my work printed and bound.  I want to make
sure that my printing contractor has all it needs to get the best possible
resolution from the PDF files I provide.  I will also be instructing them to
use a nice 32lb "coated" semi-gloss brochure paper that is very smooth, to
produce even extra sharpness.

When printing a PDF is it just up to the machine and operator to determine
the output resolution?

IOW do I need to do one last compile of my lily work to produce a
"pre-press" PDF using some option flag I am not aware of ?  Otherwise I will
tell the shop to select their highest resolution, is this enough?  Am I
forgetting anything?

Thanks to anyone who has been down this road before.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology