Re: Pitch/ octave notation

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Pitch/ octave notation
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:49:45 +0100

Erik Sandberg escreveu:
On Wednesday 15 November 2006 13:25, Mads Sejersen wrote:
2006/11/14, Erik Sandberg <address@hidden>:
On Tuesday 14 November 2006 16:50, Peter O'Doherty wrote:
If you really need this, I'd recommend you to use sed or similar tool as
a preprocessing step for your score. It should be fairly easy to
lexically replace c4 with c', c5 with c'', etc. It will probably be
confusing though, because you'll have to write c48 to indicate an eight
note of pitch c', etc,
Then he could use 4c8 instead, or does lilypond have any special
meaning for prepended digits?

hm, then maybe 8c4 is an even better choice ("8th of pitch c4"). I guessed that the request for c4 syntax for pitches is related to some musicological convention where c4 is the actual pitch name.

I think it is something either from midi or MUSEDATA (aka. Cobol for musicologists).

prepended and appended digits are the same due to whitespace being insignificant.

 c8 c4 c8 = c8 c 4c8 = c 8c4 c8

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com