Re: Hiding empty staves

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Hiding empty staves
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:23:27 +0100

On Friday 17 November 2006 22:28, Bob Kline wrote:
> Andrew Longland-Meech wrote:
> > Thank you. I've got it now, even though it seems a bit illogical to put
> > one bit of layout in \layout and the other in with the notes, when they
> > both do a similar job!!

> >> Please see chapter 5 of the docs.
>
> Could one of you have pity on a poor clueless user and give an example
> showing where these two directives go?  My attempts always end up with
> the unwanted staff omitted on the second system of the music, but
> included for the first system.  Here's an example of what I'm trying:
>
> \score {
>     \override Score.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
>     \context ChoirStaff <<
>         \context Staff = women << .... >>
>         \new Lyrics ....
>         \context Staff = men << .... >>
>
>     \layout {
>          \context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }
>     }
> }
>
> I have looked at chapter 5 of the docs (I assume we're talking about the
> chapter 5 in the latest released version of lp, rather than the versions
> currently shipped with most Linux distros), and my poor brain just isn't
> getting it, as I don't see the part that says *where* to put the
> \override command.

The problem above, is that { } have different meanings in different places:
Usually {  } means sequential music, but the { } after \score are special: it
starts with a _single_ music expression, followed by optional \layout (etc)
blocks. So you must make \override part of the music expression, like:

\score {
  <<
     \override Score.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
     \context ChoirStaff <<
         \context Staff = women << .... >>
         \new Lyrics ....
         \context Staff = men << .... >>