Page breaker question: obeying explicit \breaks

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Page breaker question: obeying explicit \breaks
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:41:16 -0600

Hi,

This is a page breaker question.

This snippet houses explicit page breaks in a dedicated voice; it also
has a tuplet that should break across the line:

%%% BEGIN EX 1 %%%

\version "2.10.0"

\layout {
  indent = #0
  ragged-right = ##t
}

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice {
     s1 \noBreak
     s1 \bar "|" \break
     s1 \noBreak
     s1 \bar "|" \break
  }
  \new Voice {
     c'1
     \times 4/5 {
        c'2
        c'2
        c'2
        c'2
        c'2
     }
     c'1
  }

%%% END EX 1 %%%

Yet example 1 is unhappy because the tuplet doesn't break across the
line; it's as though the page breaker ignores the explicit \breaks;
see first attachment.

This can be somewhat worked around by inserting explicit breaks into
the musical voice (which I would rather not do ... simply because it's
so clean to keep explicit breaking information in its own voice):

%%% BEGIN EX 2 %%%

\version "2.10.0"

\layout {
  indent = #0
  ragged-right = ##t
}

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice {
     s1 \noBreak
     s1 \bar "|" \break
     s1 \noBreak
     s1 \bar "|" \break
  }
  \new Voice {
     c'1
     \times 4/5 {
        c'2
        c'2
        c'2
        \bar "empty" \break
        c'2
        c'2
     }
     c'1
  }

%%% END EX 2 %%%

Example 2 does break the tuplet across the line, but example 2 is
rhythmically incorrect because the line now breaks after the duration
of the 3rd white note in the quintuplet (instead of breaking exactly
at the second barline); see second attachment.

So a question: what can be done to make the page breaker obey explicit
breaks even if such breaks occur in the middle of a tuplet in some
other voice?

It seems that the pre-2.10 page breaker did obey explicit breaks like
this. Maybe I'm missing something that can make the current page
breaker to do likewise?

If the affordance has disappeared, would Joe or Han-Wen (or any
interested author) be interested in sponsorship for the feature?

--
Trevor Bača